Limb 4 Life
Multidisciplinary Team Approach to Limb and Lifestyle Problems
Limb for Life was founded in 2015 by Dr Laura Redman, a Vascular Surgeon who identified the pressing need for a forum of this nature. L4L is a network of practitioners working together to address symptomatic limbs. The causes may be arterial, venous, lymphatic, sporting, structural or neuropathic. The aim is to advance as a network using a holistic, multidisciplinary & educational approach to achieve optimal outcomes, to prevent disease progression and to improve overall quality of life.
- Develop a functioning multidisciplinary team (MDT)
- Improve the current management of limb pathologies by using the MDT approach
- Prevent future complications by managing lifestyle
- Create awareness amongst members and other health care practitioners
WHO IS IN THE MULTIDISCIPLINARY TEAM
- Wound Care Nurses
- Lymphoedema therapists
The next goal is to get GP’s involved.
WHAT DO WE MANAGE HOLISTICALLY
1. Limb problems:
- The swollen limb
- The painful limb
- The deformed limb
- The ulcerated limb (wounds)
- The sporting limb pathologies
We look for the underlying cause or causes of a limb problem. Often this is multifactorial. For example, a diabetic may need wound care, but the structural foot deformity requires a podiatrist to correct shoes to prevent further pressure.
A patient with venous oedema may have flattened arches and not use the calf pump adequately, thus aggravating oedema and lymphoedema.
Thus, appropriate health care professionals are bought into the team to optimise the patient approach.
2. Life Problems
- Patients who are at risk of recurrence or further problems of cardiovascular disease
- Overweight, stressed, sedentary
- Diabetic, hypertensive, hyperchoelsterolameia/ lipidemia, smokers
We have a cardiovascular risk assessment. This is a programme designed to use all current scoring systems to assess cardiovascular risk and risk of future heart attack and stroke. It includes:
A: CardioVascular Risk Assessment
- Scanning of the carotid intimal-medial thickness
- Ankle brachial pressure
- Abdominal aorta measurement and
- Q- risk scoring to assess heart age
B: Assesses control of cardiovascular risk factors and sets goals
- Blood pressure in both upper limbs with goals according to diabetic status
- Lipid profile fully broken down to understand diet
- Glucose and a vitamin profile
C: Lifestyle assessment
- Abdominal circumference
- Exercise assessment
- Check one is up to date with screening for cancers
No examination is done. The aim of the assessment is patient awareness, a full report with goals to be taken back to their GP for optimizing goals and possible referral to dietician, or specialist for cancer screening (e.g colonoscopy, mole mapping).
If you are a healthcare practitioner and would like to join L4L or discuss a patient, please email:
info@VascularCentre.co.za for more information and to be added to the mailing list.
If you are a patient and would like to know more about your condition, please email:
admin@VascularCentre.co.za for more information and to be added to the mailing list.